//lustrous pinion
minukkie

GREETINGS!



Entries About Links Reclist

Welcome

|LUSTROUS PINION|
within the depths of the insides

Disclaimer: Read this blog at your own discretion.

To navigate, please hover over the image. Thank you. :)


Lovenotes



Reading List

| Love Drunk |
by schreient_0
| Expectations |
by aquariuslover
| A Learning Process |
by little_passions
| Play The Keys to My Heart |
by sweetsweets
| I'm Yours, You're Mine |
by jaejoongah
| 1095 Days Later |
by meheartyunho
| Gravity |
by memoryRy
| Immortal Desires |
by walin
| The Agreement |
by SuperBlue
| Nanny 911 |
by Kairi_Ichigo
| Entrapped Into Love |
by OnyxAriezz
| Without A Trace |
by Ginseng

Photobucket


Credits

basecode: Nurul AtiQah
Edit by: Cikmimin
Re-Edited By: minukkie
Others:   


♥ Empress Ki

I just finished watching Empress Ki...
OMG...
OMG OMG OMG OMG...


This is like... the best sageuk drama I've ever came across yet!
If anyone is still contemplating to watch this 51 episode drama, I will tell you that it's going to be worth it. I have no regrets, just a lot of feels!

I'm a full time investment analyst working from 8am-5pm. I only have the weekends to enjoy dramas. Seeing that I don't like to pause on my marathon, I prefer to stay away from long dramas (more than 20 episodes). Take Empress Ki for example. The weekend only comprise of 48 hours in total, and this drama has 50+ episode equivalent to needing 50+ hours to watch. Obviously the weekends won't be enough! So I have been waiting for long weekends (public holidays on fridays and mondays) but it seems there weren't a lot so I had to keep pushing this back from my waiting list.

BUT! Somehow, I accidentally clicked, and I accidentally watched! (I guess I just need my frequent doses of 20 episodes sageuk dramas, which not many is produced lately). So I ended up sneaking in the office to watch bits and bits each day as well (SHHH!! You wouldn't be able to resist I'm telling you!). But it was worth it. (Sorry, boss!)

I will spazz on this drama now. There will be spoilers, so don't read on if you don't want to be spoiled.


After watching this whole drama, I believe a lot of people will question this: Does Ki Nyang really really loves the Emperor? I had my own suspicions throughout the drama. Sometimes it does seem that she really loves him, but sometimes it seems that she only cared because she had to. It gets confusing throughout, especially with all the plot rolling around and the intense political schemes going on.

But to me, YES, she definitely loved the Emperor. I will re-watch this drama one day to confirm my suspicions and to really get into the feels much earlier (when I can find the time). In my opinion, her love for the Emperor started ever since she was given the task to protect him. Being by his side 24/7, listening to him rant about his problems, seeing first hand of who the exiled prince (he was not Emperor yet) really is. Also, this is where she began to realise that the Emperor is not that much different from her. His father was murdered too, and he was just as alone as her in this world. As they say, having things in common helps to bring the hearts together.

Ki Nyang is such a private person. She doesn't show her true feelings often if at all, perhaps due to her childhood tragedy especially of losing her mother right on front of her eyes. Also since she was used to not show her true self when she pretended to be a boy since her mother died up until she got busted in the middle of the story. Having behaved this way for so long, perhaps she already forgot how to express herself to other people. Often in the drama we saw her letting out tears with a straight face each time she watches someone gets killed/sentenced to death. Ki Nyang's heart is as soft as any woman's. Underneath the facade she'd been putting on, who knows the reality of what's really going on within her. That is why it is not impossible for her to have developed feelings for the Emperor ever since the beginning of everything. She just didn't know how to show it, until up at the end when all the power struggling dramas have subsided.


If you may ask, why did she accept Wang Yu's proposal in the first place if she already had the heart for the Emperor? Well, I would blame it on everything else that is going on. The Emperor is from Yuan, Wang Yu is from Goryeo. Both nations are not in the best relationships, the type where Yuan would oppress and betray, and Goryeo would always seek for vengeance. Being a Goryeo-born, naturally she would side to her Mother country. It is safer for her to stay in the hands of the people of Goryeo compared to confessing her feelings to the 'enemy'. After all, a lot had happened to her family thanks to the people of Yuan. All she needed was someone to appreciate and take care of her. And Wang Yu seemed like the better option at the time. And of course, she was still a nobody. How could a nobody have any sort of relationship with an emperor of another country?

Then comes the question: Did Ki Nyang fell in love with Wang Yu? Well, there are many types of love. I would say, Ki Nyang loved Wang Yu a little more than a comrade but a little less than a lover. Ki Nyang devotes her life and loyalty to the King of Goryeo, as the ruler of her country who is just in his ruling. This devotion may translate into a type of love where you would swear your life to protect. But it may not be personal enough to touch the deepest parts of her heart.

Well, that's it about the love of Ki Nyang's life, all summed up. To know the details, you'll have to watch the drama! But I have to say, there isn't that much details in itself. The romance in this drama is all clouded and hidden within the events and actions taken by characters to overcome the fate that befalls upon them. That was why it's hard to be sure of the characters' feelings unless you understand the politics and the battles as well.


The ending however... OMG. After all they had been through, after all the sacrifices they made, after all the people they have lost... He died T_T Why does the Emperor had to die? They were the strengths of each other. He had always told her that he couldn't live without her. When he died before her, I couldn't help but wonder... how would she live without him? If I was in her shoes, I would have a lot of regrets. Mostly on not being able to let him know that she loves him until his last breath. At least they were able to spend years and years by each other's side, and she still had Ayu to help ease the longing even by a little. I would like to believe that the years spent after Golta and the Empress Dowager were killed, was beautiful for them both. If only the Producers would show a scene or two...

One thing that I didn't favor in this story is that a lot of people died. I mean, A LOT. From Youtube videos, we all know that the Emperor dies in the end. What I personally didn't expect was that Wang Yu died as well! If I could say this out loud, it seemed as if everyone died in the end. T_T I really hated stories with too much characters ending up dead, and they're all main characters no less! The Emperor, Wang Yu, Tal Tal, Jeom Bak, Moo Song... and of course the evil side (all of them Thank God!). The remaining ones are only Ki Nyang, Bang, Jeok Ho, Dok Man, Bul Hwa and the loyal servants. But seriously, the killing spree doesn't stop throughout the drama. A lot of people were killed, inside and outside the palace. I wondered how many population would there be left in Yuan at the rate of the killings LOL.

Despite all the deaths, Empress Ki is still a great drama to watch and enjoy. Everyone's acting is really good, and the costumes are really really pleasant to the eyes. I absolutely love JCW's costumes in this drama. It complemented his figure very well, and made me fall in love with him a bit more each episode. Everyone else's costumes are very nice as well, even the servants' costumes!


All in all, it has been such a wonderful and emotional roller-coaster. There were funny parts, sad parts, and parts which are so frustrating that I feel like choking someone to death (specifically of Yom Byung Su who didn't die when he was slashed by the sword to save El Temur, or when he was infected by The Plague, and many other instances UGHH). I laughed, I cried... There were so much feels.

On top of it all, Ji Chang Wook is the most amazing actor of all the Korean actors! His type of acting is what I have been looking for these whole time, something that is so excellent you couldn't really differentiate if Ji Chang Wook's personality is similar to Ta Hwan's for him to be able to portray such real feelings in his character. Every movement of his limbs, each twitch of his eyes, the intonation of each syllables, everything seems so real you can't help but get immersed in his world.

Plus, he has the eyes similar to JaeJoong's. So it's hard not to melt every time his scene came up. I mean, look at him.


Watch it! Empress Ki, I mean. Especially if you're a fan of historical dramas. It has a fair mix of everything within the 51 episodes. Even non-fans of historical dramas have enjoyed it, so you should too! Okay, enough spreading the love. I will hunt down other dramas starring Ji Chang Wook. I just couldn't get enough of his talent. He can even sing, dang!


Look at that. Visually, he's like a mix of Kim JaeJoong, Shim ChangMin and Lee MinHo all in one person. DROOLS!!